Thursday, November 24, 2016

Apple Crisp

My family had this apple crisp for dessert on Saturday night and I had never realized how perfect apple crisp is for fall, but warm apple crisp is where it's at! I have been making this recipe out of the Fannie Farmer cookbook for about 10 years and it is always good and easy as can be! Let's get started so you can get baking! :)

To start, you will need to peel, core and chop up 5 apples.
Once the apples are chopped up, transfer them to an 8x8 inch baking dish.
Pour 1/3 cup of water over the apples.  
Sidenote: it took me a sweet forever to figure out what the difference between the 2 pictures above was! Why did I take 2 identical pictures? Is there a problem with the first one? Really, they look exactly the same but I promise there is water added to the apples in the second picture!
When you're done with the apples, start with the crumble! Soften 1/2 cup of butter in a small bowl.
Mix in 1 cup of granulated sugar.
Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Finally, stir in 3/4 cup of flour - I needed to add more flour to thicken my crumble. I always add little bits at a time, until it is thick enough.
Crumble the dough over the top of the apples in the baking dish, being cautious to cover all of the apples.
Bake the apple crumble for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend starting with 30 minutes (because that's what the original recipe calls for) but I always need to leave mine in for 3-5 minutes more.
Let the pie cool a little before serving, but it is best when it's still warm - so don't wait to long!

APPLE CRUMBLE
ingredients
5 apples, peeled, cored & sliced
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

directions
1. Peel, core and chop up 5 apples. Put the chopped apples in an 8x8 inch baking dish. Pour water over the top of the apples.
2. In a small bowl, cream softened butter and sugar together. Add in cinnamon and salt. Finally, mix in all-purpose flour.
3. Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the apples in the baking dish. Make sure all of the apples are covered with crumble.
4. Bake the apple crumble for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (Start with 30 minutes, add 5 more if necessary).

I hope your Thursday is good!












No comments:

Post a Comment