Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Pie Crust: Video Tutorial!

Today and tomorrow, I'm talking all about pie crust. I've shared a few pie recipes in the past and I've always included the recipe that I use for pie crust. I often get asked to share tips and/or more detailed instruction about how I do pie crust - so that's what I'm doing today!

When I shared my apple pie recipe, I shared a little about pie crust. I'll copy paste those pictures and instructions here instead of sending you clinking around! Here is the pie crust recipe that I use (it's from America's Test Kitchen - I love it!).

Start by combining 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Press 6 tablespoons of butter into the flour mixture with a fork. The butter should be chilled a cut into smaller cubes. Press in 1/4 cup of vegetable shortening, cut into 2 pieces.
Then, mix in 2 tablespoons of vodka and 2 tablespoons of cool water. The dough is pretty mushy, you will need to use a lot of flour to roll it out.
Roll out the pie dough on a generously floured surface - I am terrible with measurements but I think it's about 1/8 to a 1/4 of a inch thick.
I place my pie plate on top of the dough to make sure it will fit when I transfer the dough to the plate.
Then, gently roll the dough around the rolling pin.
 Carefully unravel the dough over the pie plate.

Lift the edges that are hanging over the side to let the dough fall into the pie plate and use a butter knife to cut along the edge of the pie plate to remove the extra dough. Use your pointer finger and thumb to flute around the edges of the pie and use a fork to poke some holes in the dough that is at the bottom of the pie plate.
Sprinkle some flour across the bottom of the dough.

I have found that I am able to fill the bottom of the pie plate and cover the top of the pie with just one recipe. I made 2 lemon meringue pies the other day (recipe coming soon!) and I was able to use one recipe to fill the bottom of two 9'' pie plates! 

While I was making pies over the weekend, I had the Bean film a little bit of the process. I pulled these little clips together into a quick video that explain some of my favorite tips and tricks! As usual, if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask! You can watch the video tutorial HERE.

PIE CRUST
ingredients
1 1/4 all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter, chilled
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
2 tablespoons vodka
2 tablespoons cool water

directions
1.  Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Slice the butter into smaller cubes and press it into the dry ingredients. Once the butter pressed in, add the vegetable shortening in the same way.
3. Mix in the vodka and cool water - the dough should form a mass.
4. Roll the dough out on a generously floured surface until the dough will fit into the pie dish (I think the dough is between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch when I transfer it into the pie plate).
5. Roll the dough up around a rolling pin and gently unroll the dough unto the pie plate.
6. Lift the edges of the dough to help the dough fall into the pie plate. Use a butter knife to cut the  superfluous dough off and use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom of the pie plate. Sprinkle some flour in the bottom of the pie plate.

See you tomorrow for more pie crust talk! 
 

























No comments:

Post a Comment