Thursday, November 9, 2017

What if Kids Were in Charge?

At least once a week, I have my students write in their journals. Usually the journal prompt is subject matter related but because we are between terms, I gave them a fun one on Tuesday! This is what I put up on the SMARTboard...

I knew they would have fun with this, but they thought this prompt was hilarious! We read it together at the front of the class and they were ready to go! Usually we have a little bit of time for brainstorming but they were not interested! Here are some of the fun answers I received:

If kids were in charge...

"the parents would go to bed at 7:00 and the kids would go to bed at 9:00." I love that this kid thinks going to bed at nine is a special privilege! And to be quite honest, I would be perfectly happy going to bed at 7! 

"if I wanted to have my Halloween candy before dinner, that would be ok." So typically kid-like, right!? I was expecting all 19 of my students to write this, but only one did!

"we could have recess all day." I do wish there was more recess for these kiddos! But all day long!?

"everyone would have to play Lego all day long."

"every family would have 12 pets." ha! I cannot get in on this! I am so not an animal person!

"everyone could just play soccer all of the time"

"people could spell however they want to" I should note that I had to ask this student what his journal said and scribe his answer! Spelling is so hard! I totally respect this answer!

"everyday would be funky hat day." It was funky hat day at school on Monday and these kids had a blast! 

"we would go to school on Saturday and Sunday but stay home for all of the other days." I remember wishing this were the way school worked as a kid too! Wouldn't it be lovely to have a two day work week and a five day weekend!?

"everybody could talk really loud all the time." No ma'm! I think I would have really appreciated this as a kid, but why!? Just, why? We do not need to talk loud all of the time! 

"Parents would have to go in time out for 26 minutes." Ouch! 26 minutes!? That is a long time to sit in time out! I think the time this kid spent in time out has really scarred him!  

I was laughing so hard as I was reading through their journals, I knew I had to share some of the answers in a post! I thought it was especially hilarious that they want to do their favorite thing to the extreme. They don't want 15 minutes of extra recess, they want recess all day! They don't just want more time to play with Lego, but they want everyone to play with Lego all day long - so funny!


I hope this brings a smile to your day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment