Thursday, June 21, 2018

Top 5: Song Covers

When I sat down to post today, I was feeling nostalgic and browsed through the list I wrote in May 2014 when starting a blog was still just a dream. Blogging was so intimidating to me. So instead of starting a blog (something I didn't know if I'd be good at) I did something I knew I'd be good at - I wrote a list! I sat down and made a list of things I like, things I'm good enough at to post about, things I'm interested in exploring or learning more about. If an idea came to mind, I wrote in on that list.

Well fast forward four years and here I am two years into blogging! And in these two years of blogging, I've only posted three things off of that initial list! Mostly because much of the list is no longer relevant! I wrote things like blog about adventures in vegetarianism. I did go through a phase where I was trying to be a vegetarian (or at least eat meatless once or twice a week) but that is just no longer something I'm striving towards. I do try to eat meat mindfully and reduce my consumption of it, but my end goal is no longer vegetarianism.

All that being said; I did find two little gems on that list! One of which I'm sharing today and the other I'll share in the coming weeks! Today, I'm talking about my top 5 favorite covers. I threw in a couple extras. But I'm sharing 5 artists that have done some amazing covers!

ONE
I have to start this list with Ed Sheeran. Ed Sheeran has covered so many songs that I love. I his music in general but I am particularly fond of his covers. 

Wonderwall - Ed Sheeran (Originally by Oasis)

Dirty - Ed Sheeran (Originally by Christina Aguilera)

TWO
I discovered this cover by James Bay a couple of years ago. And even though I love the original, this cover totally stole my heart! 

If I Ain't Got You - James Bay (Originally by Alicia Keys)

THREE
When I was browsing through the original list, I saw these two Miley Cyrus covers and I was a little shocked! I don't really listen to a lot of Miley Cyrus' stuff. But, I went back to listen to these covers and my 17 year old self was so right! These two covers are SO good!

Lilac Wine - Miley Cyrus (Originally by Jeff Buckley)

Jolene - Miley Cyrus (Originally by Dolly Parton)

FOUR
And of course included on my list is Sara Bareilles. I love all things Sara Bareilles so of course, her covers are some of my favorites! Again, I couldn't just pick one! I narrowed it down to my two favorites and apparently I am a big fan of when Sara Bareilles covers Elton John!

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Sara Bareilles (Originally by Elton John)

Bennie and the Jets - Sara Bareilles (Originally by Originally by Elton John)
(This one is actually a mashup. Sara Bareilles incorporates Bennie and the Jets into her song Love on the Rocks)

FIVE
And guess what!? I only wrote down four covers on that initial list! What!? That just won't do for a segment called 'top 5'! I ended up being kind of grateful for that empty spot because I can share a more current cover! I knew which cover had to fill this empty spot - there was no competition.

Have a Little Faith in Me - Maisy Stella (Originally by John Hiatt)
I've been listening to this song since before I left for Spring Break and I still can't get enough! I could just listen to this cover over and over again!

Happy Summer! Thank you so much for reading!







No comments:

Post a Comment