Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Honey Dijon Chicken

Today, I'm sharing one of my favorite recipes ever! My Mom has been making this recipe forever and even as a 4 year old, I loved this recipe. This is a recipe that always goes over well in my house and it gets requested over and over again (usually by me). I seriously could eat this every week! Yes, it's delicious but I also love that this recipe is ridiculously easy to put together and it's allergen friendly. This honey dijon chicken comes together super fast and it's free from gluten, dairy, egg and refined sugar - that makes it an especially big win in my house!

This recipe is from The Spruce Eats but we've adjusted over time as we've figured out what works best. So, original recipe is HERE but keep reading to find out how I make it.

Start by making the marinade - combine 1/2 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of curry powder, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1 clove of garlic, minced in a glass measuring dish.
Then, chop up 4 or 5 chicken breasts into strips. Put the sliced chicken into a glass baking dish and pour the marinade over the chicken. Leave the marianted chicken in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I typically marinate the chicken in the afternoon, leave it in the marinade for 2-3 hours then cook it at dinner time. But, you could easily marinade the chicken the night before and leave it to sit in the fridge over night.
When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is preheated, put the lid on the glass dish and bake the chicken for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check the chicken to make sure it's fully cooked - it should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. My chicken was a little under cooked, so I popped it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

You might choose to take the lid off the baking dish near the end of the chicken's bake time to thicken the honey dijon sauce a little bit. I recommend taking the lid off for the last 10 minutes of bake time.

I served this chicken with rice and carrots. If we have left over chicken, we like to cut it thinner and eat it with pesto pasta later in the week - it makes the most perfect addition to pesto!

HONEY DIJON CHICKEN
serves 6

ingredients
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breats
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced

directions
1. Combine the honey, dijon mustard, curry powder, sea salt and minced garlic in a glass measuring dish. Set aside while you prep the chicken.
2. Slice the chicken into strips. Place the chicken in a glass baking dish.
3. Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir to make sure all of the chicken is coated in marinade.
4. Put the chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, but you can leave it to marinate overnight.
5. Preheat the over to 375 degrees fahrenheit and bake the chicken with the lid on the glass dish for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check the chicken to make sure it's fully cooked. Chicken is ready when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. My chicken was still a little under cooked after 30 minutes and needed 10 minutes longer in the oven. I recommend taking the lid off the chicken for the last 10 minutes of cook time to thicken the honey dijon sauce.
6. Serve the chicken with rice and with a vegetable for a tasty meal!

And, that's it! So easy, right? Let me know if you have questions!







No comments:

Post a Comment