Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Biscuits

My mom was gifted some homemade strawberry and blueberry jam last week & I was so excited to have some homemade jam with biscuits! These biscuits come together so quickly - I think they took me 30 minutes to make!! The recipe I used was originally from the Fannie Farmer cookbook. Here is how I make Biscuits:


Start by combining 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Press in 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening using a fork until the dough resembles a course meal. Add 2/3 cup of milk once the vegetable shortening is incorporated and stir until the dough forms a ball.
Generously flour your work area and knead the dough 14 times into the flour.
Roll the dough out until it's about a 1/4 inch thick.
I use a small plastic IKEA cup to cut the biscuits into circles, but you could use a circular cookie cutter or any other shape you would like. Place the cut biscuits about an inch apart along a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for 12 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
And you've got biscuits! My crew tops these with jam but we also love to dip them in soup! You can my recipe for Leek & Potato soup HERE!

BISCUITS
ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup milk

directions
1. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Press in vegetable shortening with a fork until the dough looks like a coarse meal.
3. Add in milk and stir until the dough holds together in a ball.
4. Generously flour your work surface and knead the dough into the flour 14 times. After kneading the dough, roll it out until it is about a 1/4 inch thick.
5. Use a circular cookie cutter (or a small cup!) to cut the biscuit dough into small circles.
6. Place the cut biscuits 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake the biscuits for 12 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

I hope you are all enjoying this last summer day! I'm back tomorrow with my cozy fall decor!







No comments:

Post a Comment