Thursday, January 19, 2017

Palmiers

Yesterday, I shared a great recipe for Puff Pastry. If you would like to use that puff pastry for these Palmiers, you can find the recipe HERE. However, you could buy puff pastry from the grocery store, that would make these recipe even easier!! I have always shied away from making palmiers because I was a little intimidated by trying to make a french dessert but these turned out great! And they were so much easier than I was expecting! I read a couple of Pinterest recipes but I ended up winging it after making my own puff pastry. Here is what i did...

When you take the puff pastry out of the refrigerator, cut it in half and roll it out into two 9x13''. rectangles on a lightly floured surface.
Melt 1/8 cup of butter and brush it over the top of one of the rectangles, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of granulated sugar over the buttered puff pastry.

Cover the buttered and sugared layer with the second rectangle of puff pastry and repeat the buttering & sugaring process - Melt 1/8 cup of butter and brush it over the top of the rectangle, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar over the buttered puff pastry.
Once everything is coated in butter and sugar, roll the layered puff pastry up width wise. I did this but rolling a little of each end until I got to the middle to make sure it was even.

When it's rolled up use a butter knife or a bench knife to cut the rolled dough into 1/4 - 1/2 inch palmiers. I did this by cutting the dough in half, then half again so I had 4 pieces. And from there, I lost track of what I was doing, I just cut off pieces and ended up with 30 palmiers... none of which were even remotely the similar in size!
Lay the palmiers out on a baking sheet - I didn't think they would rise/spread much but they did!! And it got a little messy! I recommend leaving a least an inch maybe an inch and a half between each plamiers to give them room to spread because look what happened to me:
Oh goodness! After the first bake I separated all this craziness onto 2 different baking sheets. Bake the palmiers at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-17 minutes, then flip them and bake them for 8-10 minutes on the reverse side. When I make these in the future, I might adjust the temperature/bake time a bit, because some of mine got a little burnt - I'll update if I make any changes! Until, then I recommend keeping an eye on them when they are in the oven!
 Once they're baked, give them a minute to congeal on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

PALMIERS
yield: 30 palmiers
ingredients
2 9x13'' sheets of puff pastry
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar

directions
1. When you take the puff pastry out of the refrigerator, cut it in half and roll it out into two 9x13''. rectangles on a lightly floured surface.
2. Melt 1/8 cup of butter and brush it over the top of one of the rectangles, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of granulated sugar over the buttered puff pastry. Cover the buttered and sugared layer with the second rectangle of puff pastry and repeat the buttering & sugaring process - Melt 1/8 cup of butter and brush it over the top of the rectangle, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar over the buttered puff pastry.
3. Once everything is coated in butter and sugar, roll the layered puff pastry up width wise. When it's rolled up, use a butter knife or a bench knife to cut the rolled dough into 1/4 - 1/2 inch palmiers.
4. Lay the palmiers out on a baking sheet at least an inch apart. Bake the palmiers for 15-17 at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, take them out of the oven, flip the palmiers and put them back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
5. Leave the palmiers on the baking sheet for about a minuted before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment