Thursday, July 12, 2018

Chocolate Cream Pie

On Monday morning I woke up with a serious hankering to bake. I bake way less often than I used to and sometimes I really miss it. I woke up, made breakfast quickly and ate breakfast while I was baking. So out of character for me! I love to sit and chill while I'm eating, but not on Monday! I was ready to start my day and apparently ready to start my day with pie! This pie is so easy to make (like beyond easy!) and it was absolutely delicious! I was a little apprehensive because so little goes into it, but the end product is phenomenal! It's practically chocolate heaven - a crunchy chocolate crust with a mousse like filling!

I could brag on this pie all day long, but I should also mention that its gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free! I don't know if I would call this pie healthy but there are definitely much worse things you could eat! I was so impressed that while being completely free from allergens this pie is still spectacular! The recipe is from a blog called Feasting on Fruit (which I completely identify with! Especially in these summer months! I've been eating all the fruit!). You can find the original recipe HERE.

A quick little note before we get into the recipe - if you are hoping to eat this pie on the same day you make it, you may want to do like I did and get started while you're eating breakfast! The pie does need to sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours so that everything has time to congeal. It does hold really well overnight so you could make it a day in advance if need be. The original recipe suggests freezing this pie as an alternative to refrigerating it. I'm thinking the filling would take on more of an ice cream consistency in the freezer but mine never made it to the freezer! I'll try freezing it next time and update you!
For the crust of the pie, pulse 2 cups of pecans (I used pecans but you could use a different nut - almonds, cashews or walnuts would work just as well!), 1/2 cup of cacao powder, 1/2 Tablespoon of salt, 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup together in the bowl of your food processor.

When the crust begins to hold together, remove it from the food processor and transfer it to a pie plate. You'll want to save about 3 Tablespoons of the crust to sprinkle on the top of the pie later one.

Press the crust into a 9'' pie plate as evenly as possible. I usually start by evenly distributing the crust then pressing it down to flatten it into the pie plate. When the crust is pressed into the pie plate, put it in the fridge to cool as you whip up the filling.
This is just a picture of the melted unsweetened chocolate (lame, I know!) but it turns out that taking blog pictures in the morning is not my forté! Almost every single one of my pictures was blurry! So, I will detail how to make the filling but unfortunately I have no pictures to share. I will take some next time I make this recipe!

Add 1 cup of packed medjool dates and 2 cups of non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk) to the bowl of your food processor. Blend the milk and the dates together until they are very smooth. Melt 6oz of unsweetened chocolate and add it to the food processor. Blend again until the chocolate is well mixed in to the filling and the filling is uniform - I might recommend using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and make sure everything is being combined.

I should also note that the filling will not have a mousse like consistency right away - that will happen after time in the fridge. Don't stress if the filling is a little thinner than you were expecting - it will thicken in the fridge!
Pour the filling into the pie crust. Use a spatula to even out the filling into the pie plate. Return the pie to the fridge and let it refrigerate for at least 8 hours. At first the filling is sticky so plastic wrap just sticks right to it and pulls it off. I recommend letting the pie sit in the fridge for about an hour, then covering it with plastic wrap. You could freeze it instead but I have yet to experiment with that.

Part way through the pie's refrigeration time, remove it from the fridge and sprinkle that remaining crumble over the top of it. 

This pie was just heavenly! Chocolate mousse used to be one of my favorite things and the filling to this pie is such a great (and healthier!) replacement! Once the pie has set in the fridge, it is really easy to cut and holds together really nicely when served!
My mom suggested we use every pie plate and just fill them with this pie and I have to admit the thought is intriguing! I counted before writing this post and we have 13 pie plates in our cupboard (apparently we're pie people!). Needless to say, I won't be making 13 of these pies, but I'd be lying if I said the thought wasn't tempting!
CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
serves 8

ingredients

for the crust...
2 cups pecans (or another nut - almonds, cashews or walnuts...)
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons maple syrup

for the filling...
1 cup Medjool dates, packed
2 cups non-dairy milk (coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk...)
6oz unsweetened chocolate

directions
1. Pulse the ingredients for the crust together in the food processor. Once the crust begins to hold together, transfer it from the food processor to a 9'' pie plate. Set about 3 Tablespoons of the crumble crust aside to sprinkle on top of the pie later. Press the crust into the bottom of the pie plate. Put the crust in the fridge to cool.
2. For the filling, blend the Medjool dates and the milk in the food processor until the are smooth.
3. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a microwave safe dish. Add the melted chocolate to the food processor and blend until the filling is well combined.
4. Pour the filling into the pie plate and put the pie in the fridge for at least 8 hours. About halfway through the refrigeration time, remove the pie from the fridge and sprinkle the remaining crumble over it's top.
5. When the pie is set, remove it from the fridge and cut to serve!

When I first started making pies, I thought the expression 'easy as pie' was a sick joke, but after making this pie I totally get it! This recipe really is easy as pie!










No comments:

Post a Comment