Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Waffles (Gluten Free & Vegan)

There are some things I don't miss since I cut out gluten, dairy, eggs, etc... like cheese. I just don't miss cheese. I used to love cheese and know the thought of eating a piece of cheese makes my stomach turn. Cheesy pizza? No thank you. Cream cheese on bagel? Big no thank you! I really don't miss cheese, but I something I do miss is waffles! I used to love fresh, homemade waffles and I miss them so much!

When we were in Florida on March break, we found some great gluten free waffle options (by the company Van's) but Canadian grocery stores have less of a selection in the waffle department. I tried making some homemade the other day and they turned out pretty good. The Bean said "they're definitely not a 10/10 but I'd give them a solid 8.5/10." And I completely agree. They aren't like traditional gluten waffles but considering they're gluten free, dairy free, egg free and sugar free, they're pretty darn good!

This recipe is from the Minimalist Baker, you can find it HERE.

Start by combining 1 1/4 cups of non-dairy milk (I used cashew milk) with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Give this milk and vinegar combo a minute to sit and curdle or activate. Mine didn't noticeably curdle, but it got a little bubbly.
Next, mix in 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Once the wet ingredients are combined, set them aside until later.
In a separate, small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 heaping cup of gluten free oats, 1 3/4 cups of gluten free flour (I used America's Test Kitchen Blend, as usual), 1 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch of sea salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Once the batter is combined, let it sit for 5-10 minutes while your waffle iron heats up.

Coat your waffle iron with cooking spray and fill it with about 1/2 cup of waffle batter. My waffles needed about 6 minutes to cook through but this time might vary slightly depending on your waffle iron. I recommend checking the waffles after 4-5 minutes and adding more time as necessary.

Serve the waffles right away with your favorite toppings. We ate ours with syrup and they were the perfect morning treat!

WAFFLES
[Gluten Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar Free]
makes 6 waffles

ingredients
1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used cashew milk)
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 heaping cup gluten free oats
1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend
1 1/2 cups xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

directions
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. let sit until the milk curdles.
2. Stir in the olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. When the wet ingredients are combined, set them aside.
3. In a small, separate bowl, combine the GF oats, the GF flour, the xanthan gum, the baking  powder and the salt.
4. Once the dry ingredients are combined, add them to the wet ingredients and stir to from a unifrom batter.
5. Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes as the waffle iron heats up.
6. When the iron is ready, coat it generously with cooking spray. Then, fill the waffle iron with about 1/2 cup of batter. You might have to spread the batter out a little to fill the iron. Shut the waffle iron and let it cook the waffle for about 5 minutes. I recommend checking the waffle around the 5 minute mark and letting it cook longer as needed. My waffles needed 6 minutes.
7. Serve the waffles right away with your favorite toppings!

7 days until Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment