Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Vegan French Toast (Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free too!)

This vegan French toast makes the most perfect lazy Sunday morning breakfast. I have been making this French toast recipe a lot lately because I just cannot get enough. I love how easy it is to throw together and I love that it makes for the easiest leftovers. I store my leftover batter in an air tight container in the fridge and it lasts me 3-4 days. I use gluten free bread when I make french toast but you can use any kind of bread that works best for you.

I have to quickly mention that this french toast uses banana but I don't mind it at all. I barely taste the banana in the finished product and I am pretty picky about banana flavour. I like a banana on its own but I don't love banana in a smoothie or fruit salad. I usually find the flavour of bananas pretty overbearing. Despite how picky I am about bananas, I still love this French toast! The banana really doesn't take away from the overall flavour - somehow it all works.


Add 1 ripe banana, 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I use oat milk), 1/2 Tablespoon of chia seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to a medium mixing bowl. Use an immersion blender to combine the French toast batter together.

A couple of things to note here - I use an immersion blender to make the French toast batter & I highly recommend it. But, if you do not have an immersion blender, go ahead and put all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor to combine everything. And, I love cinnamon so I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon here. If you are cinnamon fan like I am, you can be a little more generous when adding the cinnamon.
When the batter is combined, soak 2 pieces of bread in the French toast batter. Make sure the bread really soaks up a lot of the batter. Transfer the bread to a frying pan prepared with cooking spray. This french toast is stickier than 'real' french toast so make sure you spray the pan well.
Cook the french toast over medium heat until it begins to brown then flip the toast and let it cook on the other side until it browns as well. This french toast takes longer to brown than french toast with eggs. I recommend watching the french toast carefully though, because once it starts to brown it burns quickly!
Serve the French toast with your favorite toppings. I like mine with maple syrup but I think topping it with fresh fruit (especially berries) would be delicious!

FRENCH TOAST
Vegan, Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free
Serves 3-4

ingredients
1 ripe banana
1 cup non-dairy milk (I use oat milk)
1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I use a heaping 1/4 tsp)

additional ingredients 
6-8 pieces of bread - use Gluten Free bread if necessary
maple syrup (optional)
fresh fruit (optional)
any other toppings you like on your french toast :)

directions
1. Add the banana, the non-dairy milk, the chia seeds, the vanilla extract and the cinnamon to small mixing bowl. Use an immersion blender to combine the batter for the french toast together.
2. Soak pieces of bread one at a time in the french toast batter. Make sure the toast has soaked up quote a bit of batter before transferring it to a frying pan prepared with cooking spray. Make sure to generously coat your pan with cooking spray - this french toast does stick a lot!
3. Let the french toast cook over medium heat until one side begins to brown, then flip it to the other side and let it cook until that side browns as well. I recommend watching your french toast carefully. It goes from browned to burnt in no time!
4. Serve the French toast warm with your favorite toppings.

As usual, let me know if you have questions! Happy Wednesday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment