Thursday, September 26, 2019

What I've Been Watching, Reading & Eating

These three things may just be my favorite topics of discussion ever. I love knowing what other people are watching, reading and eating so I figured I'd share my faves in each of these categories as of late. If you have a good TV show, book or recipe to share please leave me a comment - I would love to hear from you!

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I've heard of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel from a couple of different people but I was kind of reluctant to actually watch it. It's by the same writers as Gilmore Girls but a little more crude. I tend to lean towards happy, easy TV shows. I don't like heavy drama that bogs me down, and I was worried Marvelous Mrs. Maisel might be a little heavier than I liked.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it is SO good! Definitely a little more on the PG-13 side than Gilmore Girls but that familiar banter will make you feel right at home. I was about to write that the content of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is more frustrating than Gilmore Girls but it is actually pretty similar. Most of the characters are definitely frustrating but they are real and they are so easy to root for and love.

Songland

This is a new reality show from this summer and my whole family has totally fallen in love with it. The format, the people, the music - it is all so good. We love the three producers on the show. Ryan Tedder, Ester Dean and Shane Macanally have become 3 of our favorite people. We love that this show celebrates goodness. It is so interesting to have a look into how songs are written and produced. And, bonus - many of the songs that come off the show are so good! 'Better Luck Next Time' by Kelsea Ballerini and 'Greenlight' by the Jonas Brothers are our favorites.

Battle of the Blades

My love for figure skating is no secret. I am pretty much obsessed with all things figure skating and this show is no exception. This show pairs famous hockey players with figure skaters and the hockey players learn how to figure skate and perform a program weekly. It is so interesting to watch how those beginning steps that figure skaters learn (i.e. stroking patterns) really change the game. They really make or break the skater. A skating coach once told me that the secret to success in skating is the energy you put into stroking. And it is so cool to see that come to fruition on this show.

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez
I grabbed this book at Chapters last Friday and I ripped through it. It really feels like you're reading a rom-com. It's funny and lighthearted but also perfectly serious - just like all of the best rom-coms, right? I could not put this book down. The characters are so genuinely likeable and easy to root for. This is a light and easy read if you are looking for a little fun this Fall.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My friend, Jess (read her blog HERE) posted about this book on Instagram and I just knew I had to read it. I know that Jess takes her reading very seriously. She passionately loves good books and advocates for them like no other. This book is a quick and easy read but it is one of my favorite books ever. The way Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie writes about feminism is so accessible. She writes concisely but with so much impact.

I don't know what to say other than I am so glad I read this book. It changed me. Not in a rock my world kind of way, but it changed the way I will approach things and interact with people. I know I will read this book over and over again in years to come. And since we're talking about the incredible Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, I have to talk about one of my favorite Beyoncé songs - Flawless. I finished the book and immediately texted Jess about this song. Beyoncé uses pieces of Adichie's TedTalk on Feminism as a spoken word in her song. I must warn you that this song is a little on the explicit side, but in true Beyoncé fashion, it's fun. And, I so admire the platform she gave Adichie in this track.

The Sun is Also a Star By Nicola Yoon
Another great read from this summer. This book is a little more on the YA side, but oh so good and pertinent in our current world. I promise, you will fall in love with every little bit of this book. I was a little heartbroken by the ending but the Bean thought it was perfect.

A Gluten Free & Dairy Free Calzone!
It was been a hot minute since I've had a calzone, but this gluten free & dairy free calzone was amazing!! My Dad and I were out running errands one afternoon and stumbled upon this fabulous little gluten free and dairy free bakery! Our lunch was especially yummy that day!

Espresso Fudge Cake

My Dad celebrated his birthday earlier this month and this was his cake. The recipe is from The Unconventional Baker (you can find it HERE) and it is like next level fabulous! Not only was it incredible but it took 15 minutes to make. It has to refrigerate overnight so that part is long but the actual physical work of putting the cake together is so minimal! I know this cake will be requested often by my people.

Peach Cobbler

Earlier this summer, we picked up peaches from the grocery store only to discover that they were not great. They were mealy and kind of tasteless, so my Mom suggested baking with them. I had never baked with peaches before so I texted my cousin Andrew to see if he had any experience baking with peaches. He said he had just been to the grocery store and that they were giving out samples of peach cobbler - crazy coincidence, right? He also said go for it because the peach cobbler was so good!

So, I did some research, found a recipe and got to work! Well, peach cobbler may be my new favorite dessert. I served it still warm with dairy free vanilla ice cream on top and it was to die for. It was decadent and delicious.

Tacos at 10am
This next one is more of a story than a recipe, but the story was too good not to share ;) During the summer, my parents and I do yoga on Saturday mornings and one morning after yoga, we went to a little local market. Well there was a booth at the market selling tacos and I just could not turn down a good taco. So, I had a pulled pork taco with mango salsa at 10am. And, that morning I had eaten spaghetti for breakfast. If spaghetti and tacos before 10:30am is wrong then I don't want to be right :)

Happy Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment