Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Homemade Popcorn

 
I love homemade Popcorn - and I didn't realize how easy it was to make until recently! My mom often makes popcorn and she has a couple of fun recipes that I will share eventually, but for now we're sticking to the plain old salt & butter popcorn! Here is how we do popcorn in my house:

Start by putting 3 tablespoons of canola oil in a large pot - I don't know what size pot I use, but it's big. It's the pot I use to make spaghetti sauce, so it may seem huge when you add the oil, but the popcorn will expand to fill the whole pot!
Then, add 3 popcorn kernels to the oil. I usually put my burner on medium-high heat to cook the popcorn. Cover the pot and pick it up to swirl the oil and 3 kernels around. Swirl the pot around every couple of minutes until the 3 kernels pop. Do not take the lid off the pot until he 3 kernels pop - they would pop right out of the pot & they are hot, hot hot!!!
Once the 3 kernels pop, add 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels to the oil in the pot than cover the lid and swirl the pot around again. Like before, swirl the pot around every couple of minutes & do no take the lid of the pot until you hear the kernels stop popping. I recommend wearing oven mits when you lift the pot because it gets pretty hot!

Once the kernels stop popping, remove them from the heat immediately and transfer the popped popcorn to a large mixing bowl. While the pot that you popped the popcorn in is still hot, melt about 1/4 cup of butter in it.

When the butter is completely melted, pour it over the popcorn and mix it around with a wooden spoon. Then, salt the popcorn - I have no clue how much salt I add, I typically do it by taste. So, I recommend adding a little bit, tasting the popcorn then adding a little more until you are satisfied. And that's it! How easy is that!?

Homemade Popcorn
ingreidents
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels (+ 3 extra kernels)
~1/4 cup butter, melted
salt (to taste)

directions
1. Put canola oil and 3 popcorn kernels in a a large pot and cover the pot. Put your burner on medium high heat and allow the oil to heat up, the oil is hot enough once the 3 popcorn kernels pop. Swirl the pot around every couple of minutes while the oil is heating up.
2. Once the 3 kernels pop, add the 1/2 cup popcorn kernels to the pot and cover the pot again. Continue to swirl the pot around every few minutes until you don't hear the popcorn popping anymore.
3. As soon as the popcorn stops popping, transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Place 1/4 cup of butter in the pot while it is still hot. When the butter is completely melted pour it over the popcorn and mix it in with a wooden spoon. Salt the popcorn to you taste and enjoy!


Let me know if you have any questions!




No comments:

Post a Comment