Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Christmas Day Recap

I decided to split up my Christmas festivities into a few posts because there was just so much & I thought I should spread it out. Yesterday, I shared a wrap-up of my Christmas eve (you can find that HERE!) and today, I am sharing how I spent Christmas day!

Before going to bed on the 24th, I made a deal with the Bean that we would get up to open presents at 9:00AM. I made that deal thinking she would get up at 6:00 excited and chomping at the bit and hoping to get a little bit of a sleep in because there has not been a lot of sleeping in for me! Well, that was a big mistake because it turns out I was the one who woke up at 6:00 ready to go - really I woke up several times throughout the night!! I was so darn excited!

I helped my mom fold some laundry while we waited for my dad and the Bean to wake up. Once everyone was up we got to open all of our presents!! 

Every year, we get an amazing letter from 'Santa.' My Dad has written one ever since I was very little and they are always so fun! He was inspired by the Father Christmas letters by J.R. Tolken (a book that my parents read to me when I was little) and writes a phenomenal letter every year! This year, he re-wrote the 12 Days of Christmas to have lyrics about candy. The final verse of the song went like this...

On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
Twelve Double Bubbles
Eleven Popcorn Popping
Ten Licorice Leaping
Nine Dentine Dancing
Eight Dairy Milkings
Seven Snickers Swimming
Six Reese a-laying
Fiiiive Candy Riiings
Four Calling Nerds
Three Thin Mints
Two Turtle Bars
Arty is a Party (this line was to include our elf on the shelf named Arty!)

So that is the reason we had all of this candy laying out on our piano!
Crazy, right!?

Once we were through opening all of our presents, we got started on making Christmas dinner for my mom's side of the family. This year, we served chicken instead of the usual turkey. We also put out mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots, green beans, squash, and my favorite sweet potato casserole - I will try to get a recipe up for some of these things soon!! For dessert, I made 2 pies! I made one strawberry rhubarb pie (you can find the recipe HERE) and one apple pie (you can find the recipe HERE).

So that is how I spent my Christmas day! I will be back tomorrow to share some of my favorite gifts from this year!



No comments:

Post a Comment