Thursday, January 4, 2018

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookies n' Cream Frosting

I made these cupcakes to bring to a New Years Eve party and they were a huge hit! I am so used to sticking to my usual chocolate cupcakes with plain buttercream frosting. I love those because they are easy and reliable - they work every time with very little fuss!
So, I used my typical reliable recipe - you can find the chocolate cupcakes HERE and the frosting recipe HERE.

To make these cupcakes, start by making the chocolate cupcakes as usual. I kept everything the same with the cupcakes and mixed it up with the frosting.
For the frosting, start by combining 1 cup of softened butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 4-5 Tablespoons of milk. Next add in 4 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Mix well between the addition of each cup.

Here is where I changed it up - chop up 18-25 Oreo cookies. I used a knife to chop the Oreos, but I'm sure you could put them in a plastic bag and crush the Oreos with a rolling pin. Now, I say 18-25 because it all depends on your taste. I used 20 but you could easily get away with using a little more or less.
Mix the chopped Oreos into the icing using an electric mixer until all of the Oreos are well mixed in. Then, load the icing into a piping bag prepped with a wide circular tip. I suggest using a wider tip because the Oreos will get stuck in anything smaller. You could even cut the corner off of a plastic bag and load the icing into the bag to pipe it onto the cupcakes.

I piped the cupcakes in a circular motion and because of the Oreo pieces, I ended up with a little bit of a rougher look but I kind of liked it! Once the frosting was on the cupcakes, I sprinkled a little more Oreo over each cupcakes and called it a day. They were such a fun twist on my favorite cupcakes!


Thank you for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment