Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Vegan Sour Cream

I found this recipe recently on Pinterest and I knew it would go perfectly with some of the meals my family has planned for this week. This week, we are eating Sweet Potato stuffed with buffalo chicken and sweet potato black bean burgers (recipe HERE). I knew that some vegan sour cream would go so perfectly with these recipes!

This recipe is from a blog called Gluten Free & Vegan Pantry. You can find it HERE. It was so quick and easy to put together. I have to be honest - I don't completely remember what real sour cream tastes like but this faux sour cream was pretty darn good!

Start by soaking 1/4 cup of cashews in about 1 cup of water. I didn't really know what to think about soaking cashews, but apparently many vegan/faux dairy products are made using soaked cashews. So just roll with it, ok? The cashews need to soak for at least four hours, but they can soak for up to 12 hours. If you are going to soak them overnight, make sure they are refrigerated in a closed container.
When the cashews are done soaking, put them in the bowl of a blender. I used my NutriBullet but you could use any kind of food processor or blender.
In addition to the cashews, add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of nutritional yeast and 2 Tablespoons of water to the blender. Blend everything together until it is smooth and kind of resembles sour cream.
I think I didn't blend everything together long enough, but it tasted great and it complemented the buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes really nicely! I can't wait to try it with the sweet potato black bean burgers!

VEGAN SOUR CREAM
yield: 1/2 cup of sour cream

ingredients
1/4 cup cashews, soaked
1 Tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
pinch of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons water

directions
1. Soak the cashews in 1 cup of water for 4-12 hours. If you are soaking them overnight, seal them in a container and put them in the refrigerator.
2. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender. Add the lemon juice, the sea salt, the nutritional yeast and the water to the blender.
3. Blend everything together until it is smooth and resembles sour cream.

Easy, right? And such a great sour cream replacement!

No comments:

Post a Comment