Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Carmelized Onion & Hummus Hors D'Oeurves

Sometimes I have the hardest time deciding on a title for my posts. Most days, it's easy but sometimes more work goes into the title than you might think! Today, for instance, I just spent way too long researching the difference between an appetizer, a starter, an entrée and an hors d'oeurve. The obvious difference is that two of those words are French (and I speak French, but that doesn't help me at all!). Other than the language, I can't find more conclusive differences! Bottom line - these caramelized onion and hummus make an excellent starter before a larger meal. They are easy to make, the look pretty cute and they taste delicious!

I served these at my tea party and they were a big hit! I didn't have an official vote but I think it's safe to say these were everybody's faves! Since my tea party I have been craving these like crazy! I thought I would wait for an excuse to make them, but who needs an excuse!? Yesterday, I made some of these to have for lunch and enjoyed them with some cashews and some cut up veggies - so good!

This recipe makes 20-22 little crackers topped with hummus and caramelized onion. If you are making these for a crowd, you might need to double/triple accordingly. Let's get into the recipe!

Start by slicing up one small onion. I slice the onion into arc like pieces because I like the way this looks on the cracker best and it holds on the cracker really well. Place the onion in a small frying pan. I use a really small pan and it works well!
Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle 1/2 Tablespoon of coconut sugar over the onions. I use coconut sugar because I prefer using a natural sugar but you could use brown sugar instead.


Turn the burner on to medium heat and let the onions cook until they are browned and caramelized. It takes me about 6-7 minutes to caramelize the onions. I recommend stirring the onions often and keeping a close eye on them if you leave them to cook for a while. Once the start browning, they go pretty fast.

When the onions are done, remove the frying pan from the heat. Set the onions aside to cool while you work on the crackers and hummus.
I chose to use a gluten free beet cracker but you can use any cracker you have on hand. Spread some hummus over each cracker.

Use a small fork of small tongs to top each cracker with some caramelized onions. The caramelized onions cling to the hummus really well, so you shouldn't have any trouble dressing these crackers - it goes pretty fast!

The sweet of the caramelized onions compliments the hummus so nicely making these such a yummy treat! I especially love that these are undetectably gluten free and vegan! The Bean is not a big fan of hummus, but she likes these! If that's not a score, I don't know what is!

CARAMELIZED ONION & HUMMUS HORS D'OEUVRES
yield: 20-22 hors d'oeuvres

ingredients 
20-22 crackers (I use gluten free beet crackers)
~1/3 cup hummus
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 Tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)

directions
1. Slice the onion into arc like pieces. Put the sliced onion in a small frying pan and add in the olive oil and coconut sugar.
2. Turn the burner on to medium heat and let the onions cook for 6-7 minutes until they are browned and caramelized. I recommend stirring the onions frequently as they are cooking.
3. When the onions are cooked, remove them from the heat and set them aside to cool.
4. Prepare each of the crackers by spreading a little bit of hummer over each one. Then, use a small fork or small tongs to top the hummus with some of the caramelized onion.

It's supposed to go up to 31°C today! Yes please! Bring on the summer sun! 
 

1 comment: