Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Jordan Marsh's Blueberry Muffins (made vegan, gluten free & sugar free!)

You may remember that back in January, I shared a recipe for Jordan Marsh's blueberry muffins. Those muffins were so good, and I have really missed them since being gluten free, dairy free, etc. I have done quite a bit of research on converting recipes to make them allergen friendly (ie. no gluten, dairy, eggs...). And this was the first recipe that I re-worked so that it fit my needs. It was equal parts terrifying and so fun! I had no idea how these muffins would turn out but it was so interesting to figure out how to adjust this recipe!

I was so impressed with how these muffins worked out! I loved them and definitely vote these the best muffins I have made since experimenting with all of this gluten free/dairy free/sugar free stuff! They made such a great snack all of last week and they kept so well in a sealed ziplock bag on the counter!

In the grand scheme of things, the recipe is still the same - I didn't make any earth shattering changes, I just make little substitutions! For example, I switched out the sugar for maple syrup and I replaced the egg with Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. I'll detail all of the changes I made below! However if you are not gluten free, vegan or sugar free, you might want to check out the original recipe because it is so good! You can find it HERE.

Start by mixing together 1/2 cup of softened vegan butter and 1/2 cup of maple syrup with an electric mixer. How weird does this mixture look!? I have to admit I almost through in the towel after just combining these two ingredients because it looked so funny! I don't know what to say about this combination - it looks so strange but just keep going! It all works out in the end!

Mix in 2 egg replacers (I use Bob's Red Mill egg replacers but you could easily use a flax egg or a chia egg replacement!) and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once these wet ingredients are combined, set them aside and start on the dry.
In a small mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of gluten free flour (I use America's Test Kitchen flour blend), 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum.
When the dry ingredients are combined, you will need to add 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I always use cashew milk) and the dry ingredient mixture to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. I recommend alternating between adding a little of the milk and then a little bit if the flour mixture. I did this in three steps and it worked well.
Mash 1/2 cup of blueberries and add them to the batter. I use frozen blueberries, so I just set them out for a little while before mashing them.
When the mashed blueberries are mixed in, go ahead and mix 1 1/2 cups of whole blueberries to the batter until everything is well combined.
Prep a muffin tin with muffin liners and fill each muffin cup to be about 3/4 of the way full. I was so impressed with the rise I got with these muffins! They rose just like the regular Jordan Marsh muffins! The batter distributes really well between 12 muffins.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the muffins for 30-35 minutes. I recommend checking the muffins after 30 minutes, but mine definitely needed those extra 5 minutes! Once they are done they're bake time, let the muffins sit in the tin for 10-15 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

I pulled these muffins out of the oven right before FaceTiming (is that a verb!?) Hannah! She's coming home so soon (like less than 2 months soon!) and it feels so unbelievable! I've missed my sweet friend so much and I hope these next couple of months speed right by! She asked how they turned out so I ran to get one and said I was so impressed because they were delicious! She looked a little skeptical and asked if my standards were what they once were, but I swear these were delicious!

JORDAN MARSH'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
(MADE VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE & SUGAR FREE)
yield 12 muffins

ingredients
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 egg replacers (Bob's Red Mill, Flax Seed or Chia Seed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups gluten free flour (I recommend America's Test Kitchen GF Blend)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cashew milk
2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)

directions
1. In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the softened butter, the maple syrup, the egg replacers and the vanilla extract. Once combined, set the mixing bowl aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the GF flour, the baking powder, the xanthan gum and the salt.
3. In three alternating shifts, add a little bit of milk and a little bit of the dry ingredient mixture mixing well between each addition.
4. Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries and mix them into the batter, then mix in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of blueberries (if you are using frozen blueberries, I recommend setting out the 1/2 cup that will get mashed a little earlier so that they are easier to mash).
5. Prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill each muffin cup to be about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the muffins for 30-35 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick or a knife to make sure they are fully cooked.
7. Let the muffins sit in the muffin tin for 10-15 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment