Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Blueberry Crumble (Gluten Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar Free)

Today is back to school for me! And it's the first time in 3+ years that I haven't had a day off in my schedule which makes me want to up and throw a fit! Okay I'm exaggerating! I can tolerate having a full schedule for 13 weeks! I just keep telling myself, it's just 13 weeks and then my schedule will ease up. But for now, between school, work and skating, I have somewhere to be every single day of the week. Yikes! I will do my best to keep up with my blog, but I might take a day off here or there just to catch up real life things.

My recipe for today, is actually one that I made a couple of weeks ago! There's been so much going on, that I haven't sat down to share an actual recipe in a while! This is a good one too! I'm so glad to finally share it! We still have blueberries in our freezer from when we went blueberry picking, and they made the most perfect crumble! Alright, blueberry crumble sans gluten, eggs, dairy and refined sugar here we go!


Start by combining 4 cups of blueberries (I used frozen blueberries from our pickings!) with 2 Tablespoons of coconut sugar, 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup, 1 Tablespoon of oat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a medium mixing bowl. Once the blueberry filling is combined, transfer it into an 8x8'' baking dish. I always use an 8x8'' glass Pyrex dish, but you do have a bit of flexibility here.
I mix the crumble topping together in the same mixing bowl as the filling, because I don't want to be doing any more dishes than I have to! So in that same medium mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup of gluten free oat flour, 2/3 of cup coconut sugar, 1/2 cup of coconut oil at room temperature, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. These ingredients should begin to hold together as you mix, but still be crumbly.

Spread the crumble over the blueberry filling. I use my hands to break up pieces of the crumble over the top of the blueberries. Do your best, to cover the blueberry filling completely with the crumble topping.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and once preheated, bake the crumble for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Let the crumble cool for about 30 minutes before serving it but this crumble is especially spectacular when it's still warm so don't let it sit out for too long! This blueberry crumble is messy to serve but it is so delicious!

BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE
(Gluten Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar Free!)
serves 6-8 people 

ingredients
for the blueberry filling...
4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 Tablespoon oat flour (use gluten free if necessary)
1.2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

for the crumble topping...
3/4 cup oat flour (use gluten free if necessary)
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

directions
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the blueberry filling in a medium mixing bowl. Once combined, transfer into 8x8'' baking dish and set aside.
2. Combine all of the ingredients for the crumble in a medium mixing bowl until they are beginnign to hold together but still crumbly.
3. Sprinkle the crumble over the blueberry filling, careful to cover all of the blueberries.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the crumble in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
5. Let the blueberry crumble cool for at least 30 minutes before serving it. Store the crumble in an air tight container in the fridge.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment