Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Banana Bread (Gluten Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar Free)

I took a little blog break over the past few days and as much as I love my little blog, it was nice to take time off! We celebrated Thanksgiving and I unplugged completely - it was fabulous! As much as it was nice to take time with family, I have been chomping at the bit to share this recipe with you all! We love banana bread in my house and I couldn't believe how great this turned out even after I made some changes to make it allergen friendly!

This is a recipe that was passed down from my great grandmother. It's a tried and true banana bread. So I took this reliable banana bread recipe and really messed with it. I swapped out the butter, the flour, the egg and the sugar for allergen friendly substitutes. This recipe only has 8 ingredients to being with - I changed 4 and added 1 (the xanthan gum). This seemed like a risky switch up to me but it worked out great!

I do love the end result of this recipe - the banana bread is delicious and makes the most delicious snack! But I have to say, my favorite thing about this recipe is that it comes together in one bowl!

Start by mashing 4 over ripe bananas in a medium mixing bowl. Bonus points if you sing Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani while you mash up the b-a-n-a-n-a-s 😉
When the bananas are mashed, mix in 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, 1 egg replacement (Bob's Red Mill or a flax egg) and 1/4 cup of melted dairy free butter.

The original recipe from my great grandmother calls for 1 cup of sugar. I never met her but I'm guessing she had a sweet tooth! 1 cup of sugar would make a really sweet banana bread! I use 1/2 cup instead but you could use a little more if you like a sweeter banana bread.
When the bananas, coconut sugar, egg replacement and dairy free butter are combined, mix in 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Finally, stir in 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I use America's Test Kitchen Gluten Free Flour blend).

When the banana bread batter is mixed together, lightly grease a bread pan with coconut oil. Then, pour the batter into the bread pan and spread it out evenly with a rubber spatula. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the banana bread for 45-60 minutes (you'll need to check it as of 45 minutes - a butter knife should come out clean).

The banana bread needs to start with the oven at 375, but as the banana bread is cooking, you need to gradually lower the temperature to 325. Here's what I do - Preheat the oven to 375, let the banana bread bake for 15 minutes, lower the oven to 350 and let the banana bread bake for another 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 325 and let the banana bread bake for another 15 minutes. At this point the banana bread has been in the oven for 45 minutes, so I check it and my banana bread usually needs another 10 or so minutes in the oven. I leave the oven at 325 for those last 10 minutes.

Leave the banana bread to cool for about an hour before cutting into it. It smells heavenly so it's hard to resist but that cooling time is necessary otherwise the banana bread will just crumble! I transfer the banana bread onto a wire cooling rack after letting it sit in its pan for about a half hour.

BANANA BREAD
Gluten Free, Vegan, Refined Sugar Free
makes 1 loaf of bread

ingredients
4 over ripe bananas
1/2 cup of coconut sugar
1 egg replacement (Bob's Red Mill or a flax egg)
1/4 cup dairy free butter, melted
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour (i use America's Test Kitchen Blend)

directions
1. Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix in the coconut sugar, egg replacement and melted dairy free butter.
3. When the mashed bananas, coconut sugar, egg replacement and butter are well combined, mix in the xanthan gum, the baking soda, the baking powder and the salt.
4. Stir in the gluten free flour and mix until the batter is uniform.
5. Coat a bread pan with coconut oil and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the batter out with a rubber spatula.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the banana bread for 45-60 minutes. Gradually lower the temperature of the oven to 325 as the banana bread is baking. After 45 minutes, check if the banana bread is cooked through and decide whether or not it needs a few more minutes.
7. Let the banana bread cool for at least 1 hour hour before you cut it. I leave mine in the bread pan for 30 minutes before transferring it to a wire cooling rack to sit for another 30 minutes.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment