Thursday, December 6, 2018

Double Chocolate Bundt Cake (Gluten Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar Free)

Remember when I posted these Espresso brownies, I suggested you cancel all your plans for the day and stay home to make brownies? I'm going to make that same recommendation today because this cake is so darn good. I was a little cautious with my excitement for this cake - I didn't trust that it would turn out as good as it did. It's 'everything free' for goodness sake! It turns out a cake with no gluten, no dairy, no eggs, and no refined sugar can be just as fabulous as regular cake!

This cake got big love in my house and I think what took it over the edge is the fact it's a bundt cake. For some reason, my crew loves a good bundt cake. I don't know what it is about bundt cakes but they get significantly more love than regular cakes around here. AND! This cake is double chocolate, which just makes my heart sing! I adore chocolate anything. I've always been a chocolate girl so this cake is checking all the right boxes for me.

This recipe comes from a blog called Sarah Bakes Gluten Free, you can find it HERE. I loved this recipe so much, I'm planning to try some of her other recipes! I followed the bundt cake recipe exactly but I didn't put the glaze on the cake. I love, love, love icing but in an effort to cut back on sugar, I left out the frosting. Ok, onto the recipe!


Start by combining 2 cups of gluten free flour (I use America's Test Kitchen Blend), 3/4 cups of cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt in a small mixing bowl. Once well combined, set the bowl aside. 
In a separate, medium sized mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk), 3/4 cup of water and 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar. Stir until the milk begins to curdle. This curdle wasn't super obvious for me so I just stirred it for about 2 minutes.

Once the milk curdles, stir in 1 1/3 cups of cane sugar (or coconut sugar), 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon of canola oil and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Mix together until everything is well combined - the oil naturally separates from the water and milk so just do the best that you can here. It will all hold together in the end. 
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the medium mixing bowl and stir it all together until it is just combined.

Quick story before we go on - chocolate cake batter is one of my all time favorite things. I used to be super nervous about getting salmonella so I didn't eat batter when I was baking with eggs. Now that I don't use eggs anymore, I thought this is the perfect time to eat cake batter! Boy, was I wrong! This batter was not good! In fact, it was pretty gross. It was grainy and sour - ugh! It was not the chocolate cake batter I was hoping for. This made me so nervous! If the batter tastes bad, was there hope for a good cake? There must be something magical that happens in the oven because this not so great batter tuned into a delicious cake. So, PSA: Don't eat the batter but do enjoy the cake!
And, last but not least, stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. I make sure my chocolate chips are vegan and refined sugar free but you can use any kind of chocolate chip you love here.

At this point, I had hope that the batter would have gotten better. Because chocolate chips make everything better, right? Nope! Just don't eat the batter friends.
Coat a 10'' bundt cake pan with coconut oil - I recommend being quite generous with the coconut oil here. Make sure the pan is well coated so that the cake doesn't stick to it after its bake time.Pour the batter into the pan and use a spatula to spread the batter around the pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once preheated, bake the cake for 40-45 minutes. I recommend checking the cake with a toothpick after 40 minutes. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready to go!
Let the cake sit in the pan for 15 minutes, before flipping it over onto a wire cooling rack to cool for an hour before enjoying a piece.

I always transfer bundt cakes to a plate to serve them. So, once the cake was cooled, I just picked it up and moved it to a serving plate.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE
Vegan, Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free
Makes one 10'' bundt cake

ingredients
2 cups gluten free flour (I use ATK blend)
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I use coconut milk)
3/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 1/3 cups cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips (vegan & refined sugar free)

directions
1. Combine the GF flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl. Once combined, set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir the non-dairy milk, water and vinegar together until the milk curdles.
3. When the milk is curdled, add in the sugar, the canola oil and the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined into a batter.
5. Mix in the chocolate chips.
6. Coat a 10'' bundt cake pan with coconut oil and pour the cake batter into the pan. Use a spatula to even out the batter around the pan.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is preheated, bake the cake for 40-45 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let the cake sit in the pan for 15 minutes. Then, flip it over onto a wire cooling rack to cool for 1 hour before cutting & enjoying!

Let me know if you have questions,

No comments:

Post a Comment