Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Spinach, Avocado Chicken Burgers

This recipe is from Unbound Wellness (you can find the original recipe HERE). These burgers are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, whole 30 & Paleo.
 
It has been a hot minute since I've blogged three days in a row! Excuse me while I go do a little happy dance. I have been so busy since Christmas; it is so nice to have more free time to blog! Ok, enough chit chat. We need to start talking about this recipe because it is everything you have ever wanted out of a chicken burger and more. These chicken burgers taste ridiculously good and they come together so quickly (like 20 minutes!!).

I have been craving a chicken burger big time, but I had my heart set on a traditional breaded chicken burger. I was curious about this recipe but I really didn't think I would like these burgers. My family was excited about this recipe, so we decided to give it a try. And, let me tell you - I will never eat a traditional breaded chicken burger again. These chicken burgers were incredible. They pack so much flavor, they hold together super well and they make the perfect weeknight meal!

I think I mentioned this in my early blogging days, but I have a serious aversion to raw chicken (and raw meat in general especially when i have to touch it). Because of this, I don't love making burgers. i just don't love messing with raw meat. Well, I'm going to have to get over this pretty fast because I think this recipe will be on repeat in our weekly meal planning. These chicken burgers were well loved by my whole crew!

Start by adding 1/2 cup of chopped spinach, 2 Tablespoons of cilantro, 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour, 1 Tablespoon of avocado oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and the juice from 1 lime to a medium mixing bowl. This is everything that will be in the patty of the burger to hold it together or flavour it. Mix these ingredients together before adding the ground chicken.
Next, add 1 pound of ground chicken to the mixing bowl. Use a fork to mix the ground chicken with the seasonings, the spinach, the coconut flour, the lime juice and the avocado oil. Make sure the seasonings are well mixed into the chicken.
Cut one small avocado (or half a medium avocado) into small chunks. Gently fold the avocado chunks into the chicken. Be careful not to mash the avocado pieces - just fold them in and make sure they are evenly distributed in the chicken.
Form the ground chicken mixture into 5 burger patties, being careful to space out the avocado. My chicken split very nicely into 5 burger patties. You might even be able to get 6 patties if you make them a little smaller.
I do not use a barbecue, but you can cook these on the barbecue if you would like. I cooked these in a skillet on medium heat for 5 minutes on each side an they were perfect! The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit when the burgers are completely cooked. After 5 minutes of each side, they should be good to go, but I recommend checking them just to be safe.

These burgers pack so much flavour on their owl but I whipped up a little avocado sauce to top them with. In a food processor, combine 1 medium avocado with 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil, the juice from half a lime and a little salt and pepper. Blend the avocado sauce together until it is smooth.

I topped my burger with a little bit of the avocado sauce, but you can add any of your favourite chicken burgers toppings. We ate these burgers on gluten free buns, but we might try them on lettuce next time. Again, feel free to do whatever you prefer here. These burgers are so flexible!

SPINACH, AVOCADO CHICKEN BURGERS
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Whole 30 & Paleo
serve 5-6

ingredients
for the chicken burgers...
1 lb ground chicken
1/2 cup spinach, chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1 Tablespoon avocado oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
juice from 1 lime
1 small avocado, chopped (or 1 medium avocado)

for the avocado sauce...
1 medium avocado
2 Tablespoons avocado oil
juice from half a lime
salt & pepper

directions
1. For the chicken burgers, combine the ground chicken with the spinach, cilantro, coconut flour, avocado oil, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper and lime juice in a medium mixing bowl. Make sure the ground chicken and seasonings are well combined.
2. Chop up the avocado and gently fold it into the ground chicken. Be careful not to mash the avocado.
3. Next, form the ground chicken into 5 burger patties.
4. Cook the burger patties for 5 minutes on each side in a skillet over medium heat. When the burgers are completely cooked, the internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You could also cook the burgers on the grill - consult the original recipe for this method.
5. Prep the avocado sauce by blending the avocado, avocado oil, lime juice and salt & pepper in a food processor until smooth.
6. Serve the chicken burgers on buns or lettuce topped with the avocado sauce and your other favourite chicken burger toppings.

Happy cooking :)











No comments:

Post a Comment