Thursday, February 7, 2019

Clean Eating - One Year Highlights

One year ago, I took the IgG food sensitivity test and found out I was intolerant to more foods than I can even list. And, I was devastated. I took a whole week off blogging because I was so frustrated with food. What was once a outlet of creativity had become restrictive and discouraging. I cut out gluten, dairy, eggs, refined sugar and other random intolerances like almonds and oranges. And, I did not take it well. I like to think that I am pretty good at handling myself with grace in all situations, but gosh, I didn't take this with grace.

I remember sitting over a bowl of soup last February and crying because this all felt so hard. It felt impossible and sometimes, it still feels impossible. But, 99% of the time I am so grateful and proud of the decision I made. Yes, there are challenges, but there are challenges in everything we do. Giving myself grace through these challenges has been a point of growth for me this year.

Last year, right after cutting out all of these foods I got a text from one of my friends who gave me the best advice. She told me to grieve it (like any loss) then move on and find the good in my current situation. I remember reading that text and thinking well as if it's that easy. I can never have birthday cake again. But it really was that easy. Sure, I shed my fair share of tears over the loss of birthday cake (I am nothing if not dramatic) but then I moved on and I have found SO MUCH good in my current situation! Today, I'm sharing some of my favorite recipes from this year. I'm starting with dinner recipes then I'll move on to dessert (the best part!). All of these recipes are completely free of gluten, dairy, eggs and refined sugar.

FAVORITE DINNER RECIPES
Basil Alfredo Spaghetti Squash - This is a recipe that I discovered early last year and we quickly fell in love with it! It is so fast to make and makes the most delicious dinner! Recipe HERE.
Baked Chicken Fajitas - My family was laughing at me when we ate these because I kept saying I could eat 600 of them. They're that good. You might want to eat 600 too :) Recipe HERE.
Lazy Stuffed Pepper Casserole - This is another crazy easy recipe. It comes together so quickly and packs some serious flavor. This recipe always a crowd pleaser in my house! Recipe HERE.
Loaded Taco Sweet Potato Sliders - Y'all. These will blow your mind. I promise! I made these with some friends on Friday night and they loved them just as much as I do! This recipe is a bit more of a process to make but it is so worth it! Recipe HERE.
Mango, Avocado & Tomato Salad - This salad is well loved in my house! It presents such bold flavors and it is always delicious! Recipe HERE.
Vegan Chickpea Curry - Someone in my family requests this meal every. single. week. My crew loves this recipe and I especially love how easy it is to make! Recipe HERE.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto - This might be my favorite recipe ever! This is also a great one to make in several batches then stored in the freezer for a busy weeknight. Recipe HERE.
Honey Dijon Chicken - Another super easy recipe that makes the most delicious week night meal! Recipe HERE.

FAVORITE DESSERT RECIPES
Vegan Pecan Cheesecake Bars - These make the most perfect thanksgiving dessert! They were a big hit at thanksgiving dinner this year! Recipe HERE
 Turtle Cookies - These turtle cookies are insanely good! I promise you won't miss gluten, dairy, eggs or refined sugar as long as you're eating these! Recipe HERE.
Chocolate Cream Pie - I made this pie for a family gathering and no one could believe that the filling isn't pudding. That's my favorite kind of allergen friendly recipe! No one will believe that this pie is actually a healthy choice! Recipe HERE.
Brownies - Miss Bean made these brownies and she totally crushed it. She blogged the recipe back in August and did the best job! Recipe HERE.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins - These muffins make the most perfect snack! I brought a couple of these to friends at work and they would have never guessed they were gluten free & vegan - major win! Recipe HERE.
Pecan, Caramel & Chocolate Chips Cookies - If you are on the hunt for a healthier twist on the traditional chocolate chip cookies, these are for you! Recipe HERE.
Espresso Brownies - The Bean's brownies above are so good! But, these espresso brownies have a little extra something! I don't even like coffee but I love these! Recipe HERE.
Double Chocolate Bundt Cake - We are big fans of bundt cake in my house and this one did not disappoint! I know I will be making this cake over and over again! Recipe HERE.
Snicker's Pie - This recipe was a favorite of mine in the Spring! It is fun to make and makes the most perfect dessert. No one will ever guess that this pie is secretly healthy! Recipe HERE.
Thin Mint Cookies - This list would not be complete without our most recent favorite! I've been talking about this recipe a whole lot lately, but these cookies deserve all the hype! Recipe HERE.

Happy Thursday, friends!




1 comment:

  1. OMG! Yes please! We haven't had the turtle cookies in sooo long!

    ReplyDelete