Wednesday, August 17, 2016

{no rise} Stromboli

I found this recipe from Carl's Bad Craving and knew it was going to be great because the Stromboli dough doesn't require time to rise. My least favorite part of cooking/baking is waiting for things to cool/set in the fridge/rise, I am a huge fan of instant gratification so this Stromboli is good one in my books. You can find the original recipe here!
Start with 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 package of Fleischmann's Pizza yeast in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Mix in 2/3 cup of very warm water and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. The dough gets very sticky and needs a little more flour before you can handle it - I recommend adding in 1/2 to 1 cup more all-purpose flour. Once your dough forms a ball remove it from the bowl and onto a generously floured surface where you will knead for 4 minutes.
Once you've kneaded the dough for 4 minutes, roll it out on a floured surface so that it measures about 10'' by 14''. Transfer the dough from your floured surface onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The dough is pretty easy to handle at this point, it's no longer sticky so I just slid it off the counter onto my baking sheet.
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley, 1/4 teaspoon of oregano and red pepper flakes to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon). Spread this sauce mixture over the top of the pizza dough, leaving about an inch around the edges bare. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top of the marinara sauce.

I have made this for my family twice in the span of 3 days because it was that good, we just couldn't wait! Well, the first time I made it with this marinara sauce mixture and the second time, I made it with plain old pizza sauce because I had no marinara. I very highly recommend making it with the marinara sauce mixture because my family noticed a BIG difference - the Stromboli with pizza sauce was more dry and not as tasty!
At this point, you can dress the Stromboli however you like it, but here is how I did it: I cut up some pepperoni and cooked 2 Italian sausages to distribute around the Stromboli.
Then, I chopped up half of a red pepper and about a quarter of an onion and sautéed them for about 3 minutes before distributing them around the Stromboli. Once the vegetables were on, I sprinkled another 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup of Parmesan around the Stromboli. When I was done dressing the Stromboli, I brushed an egg wash along the sides and rolled it up lengthwise.
When the stromboli is rolled up, brush the egg wash along the top of the roll and use a sharp knife to cut lines about an inch or two apart along the top of the roll. I sliced off the ends of the Stromboli because there was a lot of extra dough on the ends - that's the 2 little pieces of dough you can see at the bottom of my baking tray. I cooked the extra dough in with the Stromboli and they were so good!! Sprinkle some Parmesan over the top of the rolled Stromboli.
Cook the Stromboli for 15 - 25 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. That gap of time shocked me when I was first making this recipe, but maybe I can clarify it a bit for you... the more toppings you've stuffed into your Stromboli, the longer it will need to cook. If you're making the Stromboli with just sauce and cheese, it will need closer to 15 minutes to cook, but if you're cooking it with pepperoni/italian sausage/ham/pepper/mushrooms/black olives/onion it will need closer to 25 minutes to cook. With the toppings I've put in mine, it takes 20 minutes to cook at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.


{no-rise} Stromboli
ingredients
for the dough...
1 1/2 - 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 envelope Fleischmann's Pizza yeast
2/3 cup very warm water
3 tablespoons olive oil

for the filling...
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Pepperoni (I used abut 20 slices)
Italian Sausage (I used 2 sausages)
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/4 onion, sliced
***plus any additional toppings you like on your pizza

to garnish...
1 egg, beaten
Parmesan

directions
1. Mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 package of Fleischmann's Pizza yeast in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in 2/3 cup of very warm water and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and stir until the dough begins to come together.
2. At this point the dough will be sticky - stir in 1/2 cup - 2 cups more flour until the dough becomes less sticky and easier to handle.
3. Generously flour your work surface and knead the dough for 4 minutes. Once the dough has been kneaded roll in out so that it measures about 10'' by 14''. Transfer rolled out dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
4. Mix dried basil, dried parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes into marinara sauce. Spread marinara around the pizza dough leaving about an inch bare around the edges.
5. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top of the sauce. Distribute other desired toppings - pepperoni, italian sausage, pepper & onion on top of cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the toppings.
6. Beat an egg and brush some along the bare edges of the dough. Roll the dough up lengthwise. Brush more egg across the top of the rolled Stromboli and sprinkle Parmesan over the top. Use a sharp knife to cut slits along the top of the Stromboli about an inch or two apart.
7. Cook the Stromboli at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 - 25 minutes (the time will vary depending on how much you stuffed the Stromboli).

Enjoy!















No comments:

Post a Comment