Thursday, November 16, 2017

Quilting with Quiltologie Mini Mania

I've talked about sewing woes before (maybe I should not call them woes and just call them challenges). I've always loved the idea of sewing, I've just never been able to 'get it.' That is, until very recently when I picked up a little quilting kit to help me get started! When I was in the States most recently, I was at Joann's Fabrics and found a little quilting set called Quiltologie by Mini Mania.

I started working on a mini quilt and I was impressed to discover how much support Quiltologie offers. (I realize that this sounds like a brand deal, but I promise, it isn't! I just really love them that much!). The instructional manual is so easy to understand and really walks you through every step of the process. If at any point I get stuck or confused, there are YouTube videos that accompany each project that I can rely on - so helpful!


I started with this puzzled mini quilt that teaches you how to make half square triangles. But I have a couple other kits that I can;t wait to try out as well!

I am getting a better hang of the sewing machine (but I think I might always be just a bit perplexed by this machine!) and I now have a rotary cutter, a ruler and a cutting mat that I have been loving!
The kit comes with all of the fabric you need - you get sheets of each color but it is up to you to do all of the measuring and cutting.
I was surprised to discover that a large part of quilting is ironing then measuring then cutting then starting all over. There is so little sewing! I started by making all of the half square triangles. Then, i started combining them...
Everything happens very gradually - it's very piece by piece. But when it all comes together it is so rewarding! This is only one square for my final quilt. The end result will have four of this squares in it and some borders to separate the squares from each other.

These quilts are too small to actually use - this one will be 17'' square. It is a rather lengthy process to go through to end up with something that you cannot actually use but the point of the Quiltologie quilts is to teach you a technique that you could take larger scale if needed. I am so excited to finish this quilt and work on something a little bigger!

See you tomorrow,


No comments:

Post a Comment